Mold remediation isn’t a DIY Job

Mold usually enters a home via airborne spores. Most mold species love dark, warm, humid places, but molds can grow anywhere and in virtually any temperature as long as it has access to moisture and nutrients. In the home, mold can pose serious health threats to people who are sensitive to it.

Molds, mildews, mushrooms and yeast growth are all signs of a moisture imbalance in a home. Locating and correcting the source of moisture is essential to permanently inhibiting mold growth. Mold often forms in a home following serious or prolonged water damage. The source of the water damage can be a leaking pipe, ice dams, a leaky roof, damaged gutters, foundation cracks, or poorly sealed windows and doors. Mold can also grow in basements and crawl spaces, bathrooms and kitchens.

Sometimes, extensive water damage caused by violent storms (like hurricanes), can trigger mold growth in a home. In other cases, inadequate ventilation, naturally high ambient humidity or improper drainage may cause prolonged elevated moisture conditions inside a home. Studies show that mold growth can be activated if surfaces in a home have an elevated moisture condition lasting as little as 48-72 hours.

Once mold growth begins in a home, immediate action is essential to:

  • stop the mold growth
  • correct the conditions that allow mold to flourish
  • mitigate the damage
  • protect human health

We’ve identified about 100,000 species of mold. Fortunately only about 500 of them (about one-half of one percent), are known to cause human health problems. Mold exposure can occur through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact. Commonly, exposure to one or more of these toxic molds can cause a variety of health issues, including asthma problems in individuals who have the condition; rashes; headaches; and respiratory tract illnesses. Some species of mold can cause neurological problems, cancer or liver failure in sensitive individuals.

Molds also release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air around them. These emissions create the telltale “musty” mold smell in areas where mold growth is active.

If you discover mold growth in your home, it’s important to leave it undisturbed! Undisturbed mold poses a much lower health hazard to most people than disturbed mold. Once mold has been disturbed, the process of remediation becomes more difficult, and the risks to human health increase. If you locate mold, contact a mold remediation specialist like CESI for help.